Saturday, December 5, 2009

Mind-body-behavior connection

Got this little gem from John Ortberg's "If You Want to Walk on Water, Get Out of the Boat:"

"...the law of cognition. You are what you think. Psychologist Archibard Hillar writes, 'Research has shown that one's thought life influences every aspect of one's being.' Whether we are filled with confidence or fear depends on the kind of thoughts that habitually occupy our minds.

Over the last thirty years or so, the most dominant movement in American movement is what is known as cognitive psychology - built around the truth that the way you think is the single most determinative thing about you.

The way you think creates your attitudes; the way you think shapes your emotions; the way you think governs your behavior; the way you think deeply influences your immune system and vulnerability to illness. Everything about you flows out of the way you think."


Makes me seriously wonder: once I remove the deadlines and the to-do list that I have to accomplish every single day, where do my thoughts lead? How do I see the situation that confronts me, or do I just shut down and tune out?

Let's go deeper into the subconscious: again remove all the conscious vows and pre-conceived plans, what am I really? What hard fragment of thought fuels my motivation? Is it the little girl who was bullied by her older big brother? The favorite grandkid who wanted to please her lola? The 9-year-old who fell in love with the message of hope, optimism, and achievement embodied in the classic Star Trek TV series?

No comments:

Post a Comment